The mission of Benjamin Banneker Academy for Community Development is to provide a comprehensive course of study that will actively engage students in acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary to adapt to a multicultural, scientific and technological society. Students will draw upon community resources in preparation for the world of higher education and work. The Benjamin Banneker graduate will be a socially responsible lifelong learner prepared to promote all aspects of community development and meet the challenges of the future.
Benjamin Banneker Academy is implementing a new school policy regarding uniforms beginning in the 2014-2015 school year. We are bringing uniforms to our school for several reasons:
- Uniforms push for a greater sense of pride in our school community
- Uniforms eliminate the aspect of social competition among the young adults at our school
- Uniforms encourage improved concentration on academics by diminishing issues related to dress
- Uniforms allow faculty and other students to better recognize intruders in the building
- Uniforms grant teachers more time to instruction rather than dress code infraction