Dear Students, Parents and Staff:
Now more than ever, I am excited about the future of Benjamin Banneker Academy. This being our 30th anniversary, the urgency to prepare our scholars for the 21st century, and building a collaborative and rigorous culture are so much more important today. As the instructional building leader, I am proud of the work that we have done to provide rigorous instruction and a plethora of activities to prepare our scholars for what they may face in the world. Our college partnerships alone are proving that we are serious about the dedication and nurturing of our scholars. The pandemic did not stop us but made us stronger. As we look forward to the remainder of this year, I am so grateful to the pioneers, staff and scholars that have graced these halls and made us what we are today. We understand that the work continues and we will embrace any and all challenges.
To that end, it was important to revisit, and reiterate, our core beliefs as a school community:
We believe that effective teachers:
- Create opportunities for intellectual risk-taking, collaboration, problem-solving, and application of classroom learning to real life situations.
- Implement strategies that promote ownership of learning to all students.
- Design rigorous instruction to integrate a variety of innovative technological tools and resources to enhance learning.
- Demonstrate ongoing professional growth in order to increase the quality of instruction that scholars receive.
- Collaborate with colleagues to share and discuss exemplary practices, interpret student performance data, and formulate assessments that promote twenty-first century skills.
We believe that successful scholars:
- Communicate in a meaningful way for a variety of purposes and audiences.
- Identify and apply critical and creative thinking skills to solve problems.
- Allow their peers the opportunity to express and empower themselves, with an awareness of and appreciation for their diverse perspectives, identities, and backgrounds.
- Pose questions, examine possibilities, and apply skills to find solutions to authentic issues.
- Make positive choices related to physical and mental wellness.
- Contribute to the local and global community in a collaborative and respectful manner.
We believe that effective partnerships:
- Build opportunities for scholars with colleges and universities to better understand the rewards and challenges of post-secondary education and provide both advanced coursework and the accumulation of college credits.
- Work with all school constituencies to help close the opportunity gap for our scholars.
- Continuously improve our two-way communication with parents and guardians in support of our scholars.
- Continuously work with our district and Central partners to provide the necessary resources to scholars, parents and staff.
In conclusion, I wish you all a wonderful school year. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and know that my door is always open.
Dr. Kinsley Kwateng, Principal
77 Clinton Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11205
- WORKING HOURS
- Weekdays: 7:00am – 5:00pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
- PHONE NUMBERS
- Office: (718) 797-3702
- Fax: (718) 797-3862